Thursday, October 2, 2014

Chickpea Mushroom Pasta

Chickpea Mushroom Pasta
Normally I use whole wheat pasta for this dish, this time I used the extra macaroni pasta that was in the pantry (I often make the weeks dinners with the extra ingredients that are left over from previous weeks to safe money.)

You will need:
  • 15 oz. can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
  • 2 Tbsp whole brain flakes, or cornmeal or whole wheat flour
  • 2 Tbsp parsley
  • 2 Tbsp cilantro
  • 1 clove garlic or 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1 tsp coriander
  • 1/8 tsp sea salt
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper
  • 1 egg
  • 4 oz canned mushrooms or 1 cup fresh mushrooms, chopped
  • 16 oz whole wheat pasta, I usually use macaroni
  • 5 oz pesto sauce (I make my own, which is below.)
Heat 3 quarts water in a large pot.  Mash chickpeas with a fork, large slatted spoon or a potato smasher.
 Add all seasonings, mushrooms and egg and mix all ingredients until it is completely combined.  Heat 1 Tbsp Olive oil in a large fry pan, once oil is hot put chickpea mixture in pan and cook like you would ground meat.  Cook about 15-20 minutes.  
Once pot of water boils add pasta and cook about 8 minutes or until pasta is fully cooked.  Strain pasta from water, and return pasta to pot.  



Stir in pesto sauce and chickpea and mushroom mixture.  You can serve with extra pesto or parmesan cheese.  Store extras in the frig for about 5-7 days.

FYI if I'm not using fresh herbs or spices, I use simply organic seasonings to my dishes...they are super inexpensive on http://www.iherb.com/!

No comments:

Post a Comment